IIDX Fansubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Skype - A chatroom possibility

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ren-kun
Suvi's Royal Guard
Ren-kun

Skype - A chatroom possibility Empty
PostSubject: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 3:51 am

I my self have skype, and also been in a situation where a large amount of people had to converse without the usage of too much resources and time. The solution? Simple a penpal from america suggested we use skype chat rooms.

What happens. We first start a chat, inviting friends as we see fit (for this case we invite people we have on the forums). People could leave as they wish and come back, as long as they have the chatroom bookmarked, im not too sure on the numbers, but the largest the room got was about a 30 or so people. Either way skype is a great way to communicate, very decent video services.

If we are interested i can explain the process a bit more Very Happy

Ren~

EDIT: Heres something interesting to look at

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=131002
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/510 (im sure we yse phpbb)
Ive also read about some quick replay box's? (i think their called that) http://support.informe.com/forum/can-support-add-me-a-chatboxi-dt2015.html but i dont get half of what some are asking... so non-user-friendly = =
Back to top Go down
Evasive
Suvi's Royal Guard
Evasive

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Skype is awesome (I use it >_>) but an IRC channel would be much better...
Back to top Go down
http://www.changinglivesma.com
Suvi
Head Fansubber
Suvi

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 4:54 pm

I use teamspeak for voice chat XD

I never used Skype. Ventrilo was crap cause you had to pay for servers or ask someone. In Teamspeak you can just barge into an empty room and talk all you want XD

What's skype like? A possible comparison between Skype and Teamspeak?

IRC is better than voice chat for most because a lot of people don't have microphones or are too shy to speak up.

But I prefer voice chat, cause I don't have to type.

Disadvantages: No music. It can be distracting when you're working. Game sound will have to be lowered.
Back to top Go down
http://iidx.wordpress.com/
Zurenriri

Zurenriri

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 12:33 am

IRC would be better, because that's what fansubbers have been using since about 1999.
I don't have Skype, sounds like another messenger. I only download messengers that a certain quantity (eight or more) of my friends have. Therefore, I only have AIM and MSN.

I wish I had a microphone (then I could do my various impressions over teh interweb)... there's one I have my eyes on, but it's US$35... >_<
Back to top Go down
Suvi
Head Fansubber
Suvi

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 1:01 am

5$ microphones ftw. Anyways, I seem to have misunderstood Skype for a voice chatting program. Just sounds like it to me.

If we ever do get a chatroom, it's definitely going to be mIRC. It's being used by many fansubbing groups and I'd rather not use something many aren't familiar with.

When we get an offer for bots or something or we need one, I'll put up an mIRC channel for sure.

Last edited by Suvi on Fri May 09, 2008 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ren-kun
Suvi's Royal Guard
Ren-kun

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 1:51 am

I currently use both TS and Skype, currently for any program opening up a voice program and bragging your way to them usually uses up about 5-15KiB a second, depends on how much people are chatting at the same time, however for TS, you can change certain settings so that voice will only be sent above a certain volume, (very useful to save your downloads/uploads), and also for TS, you have to enter an I.P adress and sometimes a password to barge into a room :3? (well thats how thats like for me when i TS for WC3 TFT)

Though if we ever get fed up with the c-box, a great alternative would be skype cause you can bookmark chat rooms Very Happy(TS, from what i recall doesn't support text messaging XD).

Anyways Currently everytime i reload, read post and come back to the forums homepage i have to hit the "Log in" buttong (which is such a hassle = =).

But when the times comes, im hands up for bots etc. After all i really prefer an efficient way to communicate, even for a little price (Cause no one wanna be lonley/leftout/not in sync with everyone in a familiar community)
Back to top Go down
Suvi
Head Fansubber
Suvi

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:27 am

I made a small error in my previous post. I fixed it.

Anyways, Teamspeak does support text, it's just not as user friendly or convenient as most other text chatting programs.

I don't think Skype supports downloading bots and such, so that's a huge disadvantage. I would only get mIRC or anything like that if we do get bots, since the forums needs some attention. Having 3 active users and 1 semi-active is horrible.

I usually don't have to click the log in button all the time. I never have to. I don't know what I did, but it's what I usually do and I never have to click it again. Using Firefox btw.

Back on topic: Unless Skype shows advantages that prove to be better than mIRC, I won't consider doing this. Bookmarking isn't THAT convenient and mIRC has recent servers visited anyways. You can also add channels to the servers so you don't have to keep typing them in.
Back to top Go down
Ren-kun
Suvi's Royal Guard
Ren-kun

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:33 am

Wow, i didnt know that much about ircs etc etc.

I'd go with that, and hey, im on for hours everyday XD (a bit afk since im watching Jigoku) and blayce and evassive is on quite often too Very Happy!

Its better then me my self and i (for your case), and you know what 4 is a crowd Very Happy!
Back to top Go down
Evasive
Suvi's Royal Guard
Evasive

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 8:11 am

Yeah IRC is way better than using a voice chat program, because for voice chat programs you usually have a really low limit to how many people can be on a channel at once. IRC is good and all, but we really don't have enough people to make it worth it... Wait till we have at least 10~15 active members, then we can bug the hell out of Suvi to make a IRC channel ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://www.changinglivesma.com
Ren-kun
Suvi's Royal Guard
Ren-kun

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 9:23 am

Omgosh evvasive your so forward Wink. But you know... if we ever do get it (we may actually get it). lets do out hw first. If anyone knows the basics price etc etc etc. Ill be glad to know (just to ponder about it) its good to be prepared to a certain extent of course (something not to the likes of preparing a war)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skype - A chatroom possibility   Skype - A chatroom possibility Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skype - A chatroom possibility
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
IIDX Fansubs :: Problems and Suggestions :: General Suggestions-
Jump to: