IIDX Fansubs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Nee-chan or Sis?

Go down 
5 posters

Nee-chan or Sis?
Nee-chan
Nee-chan or Sis? Vote_lcap100%Nee-chan or Sis? Vote_rcap
 100% [ 7 ]
Sis
Nee-chan or Sis? Vote_lcap0%Nee-chan or Sis? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other [Please Specify]
Nee-chan or Sis? Vote_lcap0%Nee-chan or Sis? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Suvi
Head Fansubber
Suvi

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm

What should Nee-chan [Which means sister] be translated as? Left as Nee-chan, assuming that people know what it means... Or Sis?

My vote is on Nee-chan. Not only does it look better, but it gives people a certain confidence that they're learning Japanese.

Last edited by Suvi on Thu May 01, 2008 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://iidx.wordpress.com/
Zodiac

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: nee-chan or sis   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 10:39 pm

i vote for nee-chan it just seems more ... right
Back to top Go down
kano-chan

kano-chan

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 12:20 am

I vote for Nee-chan too ^.^
Back to top Go down
Meia

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 12:20 am

I agree with Zodiac, nee-chan just fits better.
Back to top Go down
KK

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:24 am

Definitely Nee-chan. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kyouki

Kyouki

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:38 am

Nee-chan! :3
Back to top Go down
flying_p

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 2:56 am

I would prefer Nee-chan Razz
Back to top Go down
Blayce
Suvi's Royal Guard
Blayce

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Nee-chan cat

What's with the third option? Do you have an alternative in mind? ^^

Last edited by Blayce on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Suvi
Head Fansubber
Suvi

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 5:40 pm

lol, just in case people have other ideas that I don't.. Sister? Sissy? Sissy poo? I dunno XD
Back to top Go down
weeeeeew

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 5:26 am

Sis. But maybe nee-chan with a TL-note the first time you use it in every anime, and after that just nee-chan. Most of the people watching anime understand nee-chan very well, but not everybody.
Back to top Go down
Phoenix

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 5:37 am

I agree with the nee-chan but with a little note at the top for people who don't know japanese.
Back to top Go down
Ren-kun
Suvi's Royal Guard
Ren-kun

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 10:23 am

If you ever watched school rumble season 1 or 2, they actually do use nee-san! and of course a slider from the top appears explaning what nee-san actually means.

Btw? you know when theres random back ground speaking... ive seen sum subbers actually go to the extent of translating and putting smaller font near their body/face. Though ive seen this get messy and requires me pausing just to read what everyone says!

HOW DO JAP PEOPLE SOAK IN SO MUCH LANGUAGE ><!
Back to top Go down
danccm

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 11:24 am

i will go with nee-chan or nee-san then put in a TL note stating what it means to people...not only japs chinese also sap in a lot of language since the chinese has 7 main dialects...hahaha...i am a malsyain chinese and i know 3 diff dialects of chinese and my country language too...currently wanting to learn jap.
Back to top Go down

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 11:26 am

I think Nee-chan is the best opption as well. The animes are japanese, so some words, espacially concerning a title or a person, like "sensei", "...-chan", "senpai" have to remain in japanese, so that the atmosphere isn't lost.
Back to top Go down
Suvi
Head Fansubber
Suvi

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 11:53 am

Ok! Overwhelming vote on Nee-chan, so I'll use that from now on in anything. It was mainly for Monochrome Factor. Sis, to me, didn't sound very nice. I wanted to know if most people felt the same and I was right, so I'll use Nee-chan.

All who posted, thank you for the input!

[-Closed-]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nee-chan or Sis? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nee-chan or Sis?   Nee-chan or Sis? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nee-chan or Sis?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
IIDX Fansubs :: Problems and Suggestions :: Episode Suggestions-
Jump to: